Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:52:51 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pathname length over NFS

At 11:02 PM 10/21/01 +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > The system message for error number 71 is:
>  >     Too many levels of remote in path
>  >
>  > install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcom_err_p.a /usr/lib
>  > *** Error code 71
>
>The install tool doesn't use errno numbers for exit codes,
>but it uses sysexit values.  See the sysexits(3) manpage:

I must apologize to the list for wasting it's time.

This turned out to be cockpit error.  The problem was I didn't sync the
"/etc/defaults/make.conf" files between the server and the client before
trying the "make install".  The result was the client attempted to install
profiled libraries that weren't built on the server.

My only defense is the misleading error code.  Why is there an overlap
between the recommended codes in sysexits(3) and "/usr/include/errno.h"?

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com