Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:42:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com
Cc:        tmoestl@gmx.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE schedule

>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:48:22 -0800
>From: Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>

>> misc/23048: Upgrade install does not restore files in /etc/mail

>Sure, sorry for not getting to it earlier.  Done!

Well, *that* was easy....  :-}

Now, to illustrate the danger of appearing to "set precedent", is there
hope that PRs in http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=24102  and
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=23328 could be taken care of
prior to 4.3-RC, as well?

They refer to the same issue, regarding make.  bin/23328 is one I filed
which describes an annoying misbehavior on the part of make in some
circumstances (typically, when dealing with Makefiles that were created
via automake); bin/24012 is by Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>, and has
his patch to -CURRENT to fix bin/23328; it also includes a version of
that patch that I re-worked for -STABLE.

I've been using the thus-patched 4.2-S for over a month and a half.  It
appears to fix the problem:  once I upgraded our backup server to the
patched 4.2-S, I then was able to actually do the usual install for
amanda 2.4.2p1 (rather than relying on gmake).  And I've done the
build{world,kernel} cycle several times since, again with the patched
make.  (And yes, I installed the results, and then used the reulting
system as the base for the next round.)

If there's more I can do to get this done, please let me know.  After
all, considering the comment that there was some "history" of which to
be aware with respect to the "4.2" designation, I'd think that there
would be even more for "4.3" (fixed some TCP bugs; 1st ed. _Design and
Implementation..._ book, &c.).

Thanks,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823