Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:31:52 -0400
From:      Paul Halliday <dp@penix.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dilemma.

Hi.

	I will try to make this quick. I am writting a little monitoring script
in bash and I have run into a little
stumbling block. Basically, one of the checks this program will perform
is to take a fingerprint of the entire filesystem.
For my needs this is only required every 24 hours as the other
procedures that use this as a template will do so in little chunks. Now,
I have a couple of concerns.

1) Is there a simpler and faster way to perform something equivalent to
"ls -aliTR /"?  This portion of output will
be queried with checks on inode numbers, last modified, and sizes at
random intervals and subsequently updated if valid.

2) The more I test the above, the more I realise that this is not
without loopholes. Even if my checks are every 5 minutes
there still exists the possibility and time for someone that has
compromised the system to modify date / inodes to match what was
existing. <- any input on this issue would be really great. ie: a field
that cannot be modified even by root. I have had some silly ideas such
as: changing kernel secure level and chflaging every file (probably not
even possible),or maybe using pgp in some way to sign the most important
files, /bin, /usr/bin, etc.

	I hope to build enough superfluity into this baby so that the above
would just be another check not the backbone of this IDS idea.

	Any help, ideas, please send.

--
Paul Halliday