Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:50:38 -0600
From:      "Wolfpaw - Dale Corse" <admin-lists@wolfpaw.net>
To:        "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>, "'Mark Sergeant'" <msergeant@snsonline.net>, "'Wolfpaw - Dale Corse'" <admin-lists@wolfpaw.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: quick poppassd question

> Perhaps someone can shed more light on the subject, but it's my
> impression that most system process run with a UID/GID
> under 100.  So a
> uid < 100 should deny the change request.

Perhaps, though the trend is running most things as non-priv
users, because it minimizes the damage to the server if a
process is compromised. Generally "non-system" accounts seem
to start at 1000 (BSD, and most Linux), or 500 (notably Redhat)
so.. you may want to use 500 as the magic number for portability
reasons.

> Then again, in this day and age, isn't it advisable to do away with
> system accounts for users?  On most of my boxes, there are exactly 2
> passwords in the passwd file: one for my ssh access and
> another so I can
> su to root.  On the one box that does have system accounts
> for users,
> they can use /usr/bin/passwd directly.
>
> All 4.2k users on my system authenticate from a MySQL
> database for mail
> and ftp access.

I concur, we use vpopmail w/ mysql to authenticate all mail
users (including staff that have shell accounts). As a point
.. it is more secure, because unless you are using SSL with
your pop3 client (which doesn't appear to be that popular),
you are broadcasting a shell password all over the net, pop3
is cleartext :)

Point: Use virtual mail :) Shells with SSH and SFTP only :)