Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 17:56:00 +0000 ()
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        Richard Levenberg <richardl@enterprise.ufp.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPD problems with direct serial connection

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Paul T. Root wrote:

> In a previous message, Richard Levenberg said:
> >
> > No matter what I try I cant get past this timeout for LCP requests.  Can
> > anybody please help me or at least suggest something to try next.  I do
> > not want to use user ppp at this time, however.  Thank you in advance.
> > Please if you need any other information to help me just ask.  I dont
> > know what is important in this situation so I am just shooting in the
> > dark.
>
> I use iijppp so I can't help on those, but are you sure your null modem
> cable works correctly? Have you tried tipping from one to the other?
> Start up a getty on one and tip to the other to confirm connectivity.
>
> Does the cable have everything for hardware handshaking?

oooh!  this reminds me - JW once posted a note about Null modem cables ...

from what i can remember, Unix cables require something special (normal),
i can't remember exactly, something about a special jumper that's
required to modify standard cables, but you'll find the answer in the
newsgroup archives - comp.os.unix.freebsd.misc (i think)