Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 06:11:28 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looking for ram file system (NOT MFS)

"Paul T. Root" wrote:
> In a previous message, Ron G. Minnich said:
> > I'm looking for something like a ram file system for some work i'm doing.
> > It needs to support ram-based lookup, mkdir, rmdir, etc. It needs to be
> > BSD or GPL copyright, and run under current. Any pointers appreciated.
>
> mfs

Recheck the subject line:  "looking for ram file system (NOT MFS)"
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^
I believe Poul-Henning Kamp was working on a mallocfs at some point..

MFS is bad in that it doesn't allocate and release swap.  It'd be seriously
great to have something that could allocate and free pageable memory as
files were written and deleted.  MFS never releases swap space once the
mount_mfs process faults in an anon page.  Doing it seperately from UFS
would be a good start since it wouldn't be wasting time emulating a disk
structure.

Cheers,
-Peter