Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:21:15 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, ijliao@dragon2.net
Cc:        culverk@wam.umd.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ide_pci

On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 08:28:31PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> Both of these options are bogus.  DISABLE_PCI_IDE works by arranging
> for buggy code in wdprobe() to not be run.  It doesn't actually disable
> PCI IDE, since simiilar but non-buggy code in wdgetctlr() is still run.
> It disables buggy support for (Promise only?) IDE interfaces with more
> than 4 devices.  PCI IDE is disabled by not enabling it in the wdc flags.
> ALI_V has no effect except to obfuscate the code.

All right...what do we do, then, about PCI IDE chipsets that have their
BMISTA_SIMPLEX flag set on boot? THis is the bug of bugs here, since it
disables _all_ probing of the second channel in normal circumstances for the
chipsets with SIMPLEX set. This problem happens even with the PCI IDE flags
turned off in the device settings, since it tries to use the PCI IDE for
probing the ports anyway...