Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:41:09 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Lowell Gilbert" <lowell@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/1000 PT

On 7/3/06, Lowell Gilbert <lowell@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What are the difference between the Intel PRO/1000 PT Server and
> > Desktop Adapters?
> >
> > Intel PRO/1000 PT Server Adapter: $130 ~ 150
> > Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter: $40 ~ 60
> >
> > Both use the i82572EI chip and both appear to use the same PCB. Would
> > I be correct in assuming it's a marketing scam to get 2.5 times the
> > price for the same device?
>
> Look at the specs; they use different controllers (from the same
> family, so they may well work in the same PCB, but distinct in
> capabilities).

To clarify, I'm looking at Intel's PBs (product briefs) here:
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/prodbrf/pro1000_pt_desktop_adapter.pdf
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/prodbrf/pro1000_pt_server_adapter.pdf

Look at the first line in the Features list on the first page, Both
PBs list the same "Intel 82572EI Gigabit Controller".

> They also have different bus interfaces -- which
> could be a sustantial speed advantage for the server version under
> high load.

Again the PB clearly states both cards are PCI Express 1x... Just look
at the photo in the PB... The cards are identical!

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/