Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:05:31 +0400
From:      Kirill Nosov <slash@leontief.net>
To:        Frank Tobin <ftobin@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: securelevel descr

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, you wrote:

>Hrm, that is a excellent idea could be added as an extra securelevel, such
>as -2.  During this time, any user can open a port.
> rc scripts can then
>start up standard daemons, such as sshd, and then have them bind to
>normally-privileged ports, with non-root privileges (well, sshd needs to
>be root anyways). Then, when the rc scripts are done, the securelevel can
>be raised to 4, which would allow noone, even root, to bind to
>securelevels anymore.  By doing both of these, we've accomplished less
>root-privileged binaries _and_ trusted ports.

Yep, perhaps this is one of possible solutions.

>Additionally, even if sshd was compromised as it ran as root, and the
>attacker gained root access, he could do virtually nothing damaging
>(except possibly some DOS) to the system, being in a high securelevel
>state.

Compromising for example sendmail will lead to non-root compromise at all.

> This includes killing the current sshd, and starting a new one to
>sniff passwords, as, as stated, the proposed securelevel would be set to
>not allow the opening of trusted ports.

I think that creating needed patch is not an evil task.

--
	In the beginning there was data.  The data was without form and
null, and darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of

/Slash.