Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:23:07 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Linus said about FreeBSD

On Thursday, 10 February 2000 at 10:35:41 -0500, Brett Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>> At 05:32 PM 2/9/2000 , Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> Jon, it's for reasons like this that I don't continue discussions
>>> with Brett.  If he could channel his ability into something positive,
>>> like the Daemon News article I suggested, it would be one thing.
>
>> I may yet do that Daemon News article. However, the disparaging
>> remarks that you made earlier dissuaded me from doing so. Why
>> volunteer my time if it won't be appreciated?
>
> Sigh.  Brett - other than Greg being one of the initial and
> consistent contributors to DN, he has no editorial power.  The only
> person who you discussed this with from DN who does was Greg Sutter
> (AFAIK).  I don't believe Chris, Geoff, or I talked to you about it.
> I know Greg S. asked you not to bring up the GPL in the article and
> to the best of my knowledge that's as far as it went.  I find it
> hard to believe that you would be dissuaded by one person, even if
> that person were Grog, to not write the article since backing down
> from your beliefs doesn't seem in character w/ all of your
> interactions here and in other forums.  It certainly hasn't stopped
> you from talking about the GPL yet.  :-)

This is becoming the Brett and Greg show, is it? :-)

You're right, of course, that I have no editorial power WRT Daemon
News, and of course I never said anything intended to imply
otherwise.  I'd like to emphasize, though, that I didn't do anything
to discourage Brett G. writing an article; on the contrary, it was my
idea.  Like Greg S., I *did* suggest that he should not send a
disguised diatribe about the GPL.

> Please write the article and send it in - we're always happy to
> receive well written articles and you'll be given a fair review
> process by the editors.  Submit to article@daemonnews.org.

I strongly support this.  In particular, it would show that Brett
G. is interested in active advocacy.

Greg