Date:      	Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:06:10 -0800
From:      Sean Doran <smd@cesium.clock.org>
To:        Alexander Seth Jones <ajones@ctron.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more timeouts

In message <9602231631.AA14380@thoth>, Alexander Seth Jones writes:

| I'm also seeing a timeout with my IDE harddrive:
|
|   wd0: interrupt timeout:
|   wd0: status 58<seekdone,drq> error 0
|   wd0: interrupt timeout:
|   wd0: status 58<seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>

I'm also seeing alot of these, although the status numbers
vary in the 50s.  After the "error 1<no_dam>", the 2.1
kernel on the Thinkpad boot.flp that Nate Williams put up
for FTP, and the 2.2 snapshot GENERIC kernel both hang on
any disk operation.

I'd get this hang after random amounts of disk activity.

I was thinking that it was due to bad blocks, so I tried
bad144 -s -v wd0, which would hang after reporting that it
had gotten to 273420.  (This is reproducible, even after
many bad144 -a commands).

There are some bad blocks on the disk; MS-DOS sees them and
marks them.  Is there any way to translate what, say,
scandisk (or other tools) reports as badblocks into
something I can feed manually or automagically into bad144?

Even if there is a way to do this, is this the source of my
problem?

	Sean.