Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:16:04 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: package distribution crisis - CDN needed

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:15:48AM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Eberhard Moenkeberg p??e v ?t 08. 04. 2008 v 01:54 +0200:
>=20
> > >=20
> > > The success of a CDN is premised on the working set of active files b=
eing
> > > [significantly] smaller than the set of available files.  While I don=
't doubt
> > > that only a few packages are of interest to most users, for a CDN to =
provide a
> > > real benefit it needs to be the case that no users require most files=
=2E  The
> > > reason being that, if you have to transfer all or even most files eve=
ry time,
> > > a CDN may well be a significantly less efficient way to do it than rs=
ync. Has
> > > a working set analysis for our main mirrors been done that demonstrat=
es that
> > > the actual working set is sufficiently smaller than the total set tha=
t a CDN
> > > would be more, rather than less, efficient?
>=20
> I don't have these statistics, but I'd like to see them very much.
> Can I ask some of the mirror admins to compile me statistics on
> downloads of files from /pub/FreeBSD/ports/*packages*, say for March
> 2008 ?
>=20
> I'd also like to have these numbers from ftp.FreeBSD.org so I have a
> comparision of volume.
>=20
> My suspicion is that 99% of users get their packages from
> ftp.FreeBSD.org, because that's what pkg_add -r uses without PACKAGEROOT
> specification.

I suspect that like virtually everything else on the internet package
access is heavy-tailed.  If so, no from of cooperative caching will be
of use.

For example, this paper killed all research on cooperative caching
web proxies by demostrating that its was fundamentally pointless:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=3D10.1.1.22.9583

-- Brooks

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF--