Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:37:22 +0100
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: systat -vmstat or iostat IO help

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 06:08:25PM -0800, Matt Dillon wrote:

> :I am trying to figure out corelation between Inactive and Free then.
> :Inact would be unused ram right?
> :Free would be what how much of Active is being used? So what you are
> :saying is if there is to much free then alot of active pages are being
> :killed for some reason...as seen in error logs etc? ....just trying to get
> :a quick overview of what a good accessment that was...never thought of
> :that.
>
>     'free' (from systat -vm or top) is all that matters in your case.
>     Active/Inactive/Cache are best simply added together.  Their
>     individual values will depend heavily on the load on the machine
>     because the VM system doesn't bother to keep things in their
>     proper queues if the memory load is low.

Could you please give a pointer to a description of the meaning of
Active, Inactive and Cache, on a machine I see this

Mem: 138M Active, 661M Inact, 114M Wired, 48M Cache, 112M Buf, 44M Free
Swap: 1612M Total, 16K Used, 1612M Free

Yes I know it has too much memory, but I'm surprised why more isn't used
for disk caching ....

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)