Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:27:00 +0200
From:      Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

Ceri writes:
 > On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:10:18AM -0400, Leo Bicknell said:
 > >
 > > I ran into a pair of all too common annoyances this morning that
 > > got me thinking.  Via the magic of cut and paste I ended up with
 > > the following two sorts of command lines:
 > >
 > > mutt mailto:bicknell@ufp.org
 > > traceroute http://www.ufp.org/
 >
 > Please don't do this.
 > FreeBSD is not a web browser.

	That's a pretty silly argument.

	There are already several commands that are part of FreeBSD,
and use either URI syntax or something similar. E.g,

	mount some.server:/usr/src /usr/src
	scp user@some.server:file .
	fetch http://some.server/file

	Having a standard library that can pick apart such addresses
is going to make parsing easier, and it may also make the system
slightly easier to use (by enforcing a single syntax across all the
commands that require this sort of functionality). Whether it is a
reasonable use of developer time is a completely different matter.

	FWIW, the Symbolics Lisp Machines had something similar to
this integrated at the file system layer - it was possible to access
(edit, even) files through FTP, NFS, ChaosNet (and other) protocols
without explicitly mounting file systems.

	//Raymond.

--
Raymond Wiker
Raymond.Wiker@fast.no