Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2020 08:33:33 -0700
From:      Matthew Macy <mmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        bsd-lists@bsdforge.com
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CFT for vendor openzfs - week 4 reminder + memdisk images

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 20:16 Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 21:16:28 -0700 Matthew Macy mmacy@freebsd.org said
>
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:06 Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 20:50:33 -0700 Matthew Macy mmacy@freebsd.org sai=

> said

> mmacy@freebsd.org
> > > said

> for
> > > the
> > > roughly a
> August

> that
> > > avoid
> > > following

> https://people.freebsd.org/~freqlabs/freebsd-openzfs-3d833bea-f10f94aa-20=
20072900/

> now?

> > > this
> announcement

> discussed in
> > > lot
> > > >

> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-December/072422.=
html

> > > Thank you very much, Mathew. Sorry for any bother.
> > >

> > No bother or not much at least. It=E2=80=99s just been a long haul and =
I=E2=80=99d like
> > wrap this up.
> No doubt.
> FTR I'm not looking to impede you. :-)
> My only concern would be that I'd need to remaster the art of ZFS. I've
> got 1500 installs to maintain, and any changes tend to alarm me. :-)
> I see we're a bit behind the others, if this status report is current:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CFapSYxA5QRFYy5k6ge3FutU7zbAWbaeG=
N2nKVXgxCI/edit#gid=3D0
> Will your impending commit move us closer? Is there anything others
> like myself can do to help?

Close to 90% of the sources files in openzfs are shared between Linux and
FreeBSD. So the features will, give or take a line item, be the same. For
non developers the main thing they can do to help out is to run it in their
own environments to identify any changes in behavior or regressions. If
you=E2=80=99re doing 1500 installs it=E2=80=99s in your best interest to ma=
ke this as
smooth a transition as possible. However, it=E2=80=99s not something you=E2=
=80=99re going
to face until you move to 13. The openzfs port is available to those who
want to run it on 12.

-M