Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:24:58 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com, jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: Bruce vandalism again

> >> A great way to enlarge 200000-line diffs between NetBSD and FreeBSD for code
> >> that isn't really different :-(.
> >
> >This means tracking *their* pedantic KNF style commits as well, or do
> >you bitch at them about that?
>
> If the style is consistent, then all reformatting to it should give the
> same result.

This is not an answer to the question.

You are suggesting that we should apply the "golden formatting" rule to
minimise differences between our codebase and NetBSD's.  However they
are mercilessly changing code style to conform to their preferred
style.

To achieve your stated goal, keeping our code the same is not adequate;
instead we must copy their formatting changes.  I am not entirely
convinced that this is a worthwhile exercise - I'd like to think we
have a life of our own, and certainly *our* developer community has
some fairly different ideas about how things should look.

mike