Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 06:34:26 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Come on guys, close a PR or two, will ya ?

> All solveable problems.  A more robust packaging system will solve most of
> these.

That's like saying "we can get to the stars, we just need a faster
than light drive - it's obvious guys!" :-)

I've been trying to write or get someone (anyone!) else to write "a
more robust packaging system" for something close to 4 years now and
I'm not having any luck at all.  I've also even looked at what it
would take to make the ports collection generate RPMs (it's sort of
mappable but definitely not easy) and if Debian were easier to install
on my spam box I'd probably have looked at that by now too.  Nobody,
least of all myself, is particularly proud of the current prototype
package system and would LOVE to see Package System MKII, whether it's
an import or another indigenous effort.  A more robust packaging
system / management system is not the answer - that is the question.
Who's going to do it is the answer we're looking for here. :-)

					Jordan