Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:39:09 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "N. R.R." <robalama@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: color sharing in X

"N. R.R." wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If this is not the right place for this question, please let me know.
>
> I noticed in Netscape (every once in a while) and EVERY time I run
> xfmail 1.1, they have trouble sharing the colors.
>
> here are the messages:
> Netscape:
>
> Netscape:  subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr)
>
> Warning:  Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background.
>
> xfmail 1.1:
>
> #xfmail &
> xfmail v1.1
> (C).....
> Compiled .....
> Fialed to share colors using private colormap
>
> Is there something I need to specify in my X startup?

Are you running at 256 colours (8bpp)?, can your graphics card support
greater colour depth?. If so try starting X with ``startx -- -bpp 16''
(or 24, or 32).

> Thanks again.
>
> Neill

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

           My homepage http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~markov
Mark Ovens, CNC Apps Engineer,   |    mailto:marko@uk.radan.com
Radan Computational Ltd          |         http://www.radan.com
Bath, England. CAD/CAM solutions | FreeBSD - The Power To Serve
for the Sheetmetal Work industry.|       http://www.freebsd.org