Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 06:59:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
To:        rowan@sensation.net.au (Rowan Crowe)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boa small/fast web server

| On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Chet Hosey wrote:
|
| > I don't know if this is relevant, but when listen() is called on a socket
| > (as it likely is by boa), the application can tell the kernel how many
| > queued connections to keep. Although I may be entirely wrong, I would
| > guess that perhaps boa isn't letting the kernel queue enough connections.
| >
| > Unfortunately, there seems to be no simple way to override the
| > application's requests. A cap may be set on backlog length using
| > kern.ipc.somaxconn; depending on what boa requests, increasing this value
| > (default 128, it seems), may help.
|
| Chet,
|
| Thanks for the tip. Boa is requesting a backlog of 250, while
| kern.ipc.somaxconn was set to 128. These numbers seem rather large - at
| peak Boa is completing about 25 to 30 images per second - but I tried
| setting somaxconn to 250, and it seems to have worked! The number of

Just for reference, I've been rebuilding Apache for my day job's site just
before Easter and the while probing the source there for load related config,
specifically how to increase the cap on the number of processes its prepared
to pre-fork, I came across the listen queue depth which Apache sets to 511
per pre-forked process on the various Unices (noting that they've had trouble
with 512 BTW) and 1024 on NT. On this basis I don't think 250 is anything to
get stressed about (and avoids the power of two which might be troublesome?).

Just thought another data point might help.

Enno.