Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:59:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dg@root.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: page fault while in kernel mode - from gcc

> > >Is there any reason why someone doesn't back out his last few batches of
> > >large vm changes? Apparently he was half done with some of it, and what we
> > >had before seemed more stable than what we have now.
> >
> >    That may ultimately be what we have to do, but the fixes also fixed some
> > serious 'leak' style problems with the Mach derived VM system, so I'd rather
> > that we find the bugs and fix them rather than going back to the previous
> > code.
>
> FreeBSD doesn't currently include the batch of patches that Elvind
> saved and that John had in his home directory when it was removed,
> does it?
>
> What is the behaviour with those patches added in?

Right now, with my -current server, I get a 'panic: page fault while in
kernel mode' about once a week.... Dual Processor, P/200 with 256M of ram.
Most of the problems seem to occur when the system is starting to swap..
(obviously)

Old kernels don't have NFS very stable, and new kernels have these random
panic's...

Is there a compromise somewhere?

Kevin