Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 20:03:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Josh MacDonald)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XDrawString

>> > text.  I run Xaccell, so then I tried the same application with an
>> > XFree86 server, and the string does not draw at all.  On either the
>> > DEC Ultrix server or Linux Xaccell server I ran it on both displayed
>> > the string without wrapping.  So I'm curious whats going on.  Here's
>>
>> As it does on the FreeBSD version of AcceleratedX (1.3) I just tested
>> it with.  Can't test it against XFree86 as I have a Matrox.
>
>Wait, you're saying that you're running the same server as I am.  Did
>you not experience any troubles?  (I have AcceleratedX 1.3).

You haven't given much detail of what you're trying it on (hardware, server,
depth, etc).

I just tried it on an XFree86 3.1.2 Mach32 at 8bpp, and I don't see anything.
If I change the foreground and background colours in the gc to:

  xgcv.foreground = WhitePixel(display, DefaultScreen (display));
  xgcv.background = BlackPixel(display, DefaultScreen (display));

Then, it works fine.

XDrawString only draws in the forground colour anyway, so maybe you were
drawing black on black, which could easily be the case with the foreground
pixel value set to 0xffff (truncated to 0xff) on a 8bpp pseudocolor
visual?

Have you tried XDrawImageString?  That gives black characters on a white
background with your foreground/background values when I try it.

David