Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:31:25 -0500
From:      Bush Doctor I <dervish@goku.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lesstiff not installed as a dependency

Out of da blue Mark Ovens aka (mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org) said:
> The xmcd port requires lesstiff and, since I don't have it installed,
> gives this message:
>
> marder-1# cd /usr/ports/audio/xmcd
> marder-1# make
> ===>  xmcd-2.5 requires Motif. LessTif is an LGPL implementation of the Motif API. A port is available in ports/x11-toolkits/lesstif. Please see /etc/make.conf.
> marder-1#
>
> Why does it not simply install it as a dependency as is the usual
> behaviour? Yes, I have looked at /etc/make.conf as the message says,
> but all I can see are the options:
>
> #HAVE_MOTIF=    yes
> #MOTIF_STATIC=  yes
> #MOTIFLIB=      -L${X11BASE}/lib -lXm
>
> The only guess I can make is that if lesstiff were installed as a
> dependency then xmcd still wouldn't build as make(1) would assume
> that MOTIF wasn't installed.
That is true.  As it is now you would have to build lesstiff, uncomment
"HAVE_MOTIF=	yes" in /etc/make.conf and then build xmcd.  The question is
do you want the port build process to modify make.conf if lesstiff is needed?

> --
> STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
> OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.
>       FreeBSD - The Power To Serve http://www.freebsd.org
>       My Webpage http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~mark/
> mailto:mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org              http://www.radan.com

#:^)
--
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

bush doctor
<dervish@goku.cl.msu.edu>