Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:25:25 -0500
From:      "Daniel Harris" <daniel@cyberjunky.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD And Max Simultaneous Connections

We are trying to determine the absolute maximum amount of simultaneous
connections a FreeBSD machine can handle under the worst conditions.
Transmissions would encompass one port, around 512 bytes of data, and
handled by a custom daemon. The machines would be of the following
configuration:

    K62-350
    256mb RAM
    Ultra Wide Scsi Disks
    512k Cache
    PCI 100mbit ethernet

We have no idea what the FreeBSD operating system itself can handle (either
3.0 or a 2.2.X variant) and don't really have a way to test at this point.

We need to find out the number of machines it would require to service a
pre-determined amount of connections assuming we had the bandwidth and
resources to support it.

Can anyone also tell me what I can do to tweak a machine to handle the Max
connections?  IE, the kernel config needed (maxusers, somaxconn, etc), and
hardware side.

Thanks..