Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:19:19 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Binutils diff needed

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:39:58PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:

> BTW; did you see what they did for ia64?
> peter@overcee[12:28pm]~src/contrib/binutils/ld/emulparams-110> l elf64_ia64*
> 1 -rw-r--r--  1 peter  src  845 Mar  9 13:19 elf64_ia64.sh
> 1 -rw-r--r--  1 peter  src   72 Feb 21 20:18 elf64_ia64_fbsd.sh
>
> peter@overcee[12:28pm]~src/contrib/binutils/ld/emulparams-111> cat elf64_ia64_fbsd.sh
> . ${srcdir}/emulparams/elf64_ia64.sh
> . ${srcdir}/emulparams/elf_fbsd.sh

Actually, the "they" is me. :-)
I only added it to the FSF tree a few weeks ago.

> Maybe the bmake glue isn't picking up the emulparms/*_fbsd.sh versions?

It is not [yet].  I have a patch in my tree to use the new emulations I
added to the FSF tree.  However it is not complete due to a snag I hit.
I am waiting until I import 2.12.0 release, to finish it and make the cut
over to the fbsd_* emulations.

> I know the ia64 gcc sets -dynamic-interpreter on the command
> line so I suspect that if ld is misconfigured on ia64, it would be hidden
> by this.

Yes, all GCC target configs set -dynamic-interpreter (IMO it should not
unless it is known the default emulation or the -m specified one is
wrong).  Many targets also set the emulation with `-m'.

The new emulations are needed so that one can use naked `ld' w/o having
to specify -dynamic-interpreter.  Up until now, we have taken files off
the FSF vendor branch just to make the ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER change in
src/contrib/binutils/bfd.  I lost the battle to have
ELF_DYNAMIC_INTERPRETER wrapped in #ifndef's, so that defining them in
the bmaked files would be possible.

I cannot tell from your email; are you happy with the new way, or you dis
like it?

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)