Date:      Sat, 20 May 2017 23:32:00 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Planetoid 128 <planetoid128@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: x11/mate

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Planetoid 128 <planetoid128@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey man,look before I start my problems I mean to you no offence,so the
> mate version 1.18 was realesed and we are still on 1.12,so can you upgrade
> it please.
>
> Koop is pretty much single-handedly maintaining all Gnome ports. This
totals over a hundred ports. He recently updated a large number of the base
ports on which Gnome, Cinnamon, Mate, and applications for all of them
depend. I'm sure that he would really appreciate help, but until he gets
it, I imagine that Gnome will e the first priority, Cinnamon second, and
Mate bringing up- the rear. As a Mate user, I'd love to see Mate get more
attention, but it is beyond my limited coding skills and I'm pretty sure
that Gnome and Cinnamon are most popular.

I know he is aware of the status of Mate and, now that the base ports
(mostly libraries) are updated, I am hoping for an update.

Support is almost all from volunteers. The foundation only hires people ot
work on the most critical and complex issues and if nobody with the
capability can dedicate the time, it simply does not happen.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com