Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:49:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: block devices & dumpon.

Thomas Stromberg wrote:
> I thought all I needed to do was "./MAKEDEV all" in /dev after a
> mergemaster (I also tried MAKEDEV drive) However, I guess this is not
> the case. Evidentally if I makedev a drive or all, it does not MAKEDEV
> the slices. I could of sworn it was supposed to.. alas! Learn something
> new every day.

Personally, I think this is a needed enhancement for MAKEDEV.  IMHO, it
violates the POLA that a "MAKEDEV all" doesn't make _all_ the necessary
devices to run one's system.  (_I_ keep forgetting, since it's usually
at least months between one system install and another, and always end
up having to go back and do a "MAKEDEV da0s1a" or whatever, usually in
single-user mode when the system refused to mount filesystems because
of missing /dev entries.  Sigh.)  Or at the very _least_, "MAKEDEV da1"
should make the slice devs too.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com