Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2014 14:51:45 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, tyler@tysdomain.com
Subject:   Re: getting involved and contributing

On Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:40:52 pm Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> Hello all:
> I had a fewe questions I wanted to ask.
> I'm looking for areas in which I might contribute code (c/c++, Python
> etc). As I'm new to the code contribution deal, I'd like to start off
> with something small if possible. My interests are mainly in security
> and systems development, though I'm probably not all that great at
> either. Similarly, I had a few questions:
> 1) what is a free or cheap method for testing code, branches etc? I have
> two systems here, but I am unable to duel boot.
> 2) I could use VMWare for testing, but that limits my ability to do much
> testing. Given that though, is there a way to automate the install of
> BSD? Basically: I am blind and am unable to install BSD by myself
> without help. Solutions exist for serial ports, but I've not really had
> much great luck connecting to that through a host. If there's a solution
> for a scripted install, that would be awesome.

If you have a new enough machine running FreeBSD you can use bhyve (or perhaps
VirtualBox) as a hypervisor and do testing inside guests.  (I do this on my
laptop now.)  As far as scripted installs: you can write your own install
script.  The ZFSOnRoot wiki pages actually have a decent set of steps one
needs to do a manual install.  You can use that as a basis for writing your
own install script that uses gpart to layout a disk image file, mounts it via
mdconfig and then untars the dists into the image.

--
John Baldwin