Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:31:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        "Preston S. Wiley II" <pwiley@freebsd.tesserae.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Suggestions for advocacy site

I was looking at your site the other day.. I thought you'd done a good job if
implementing the original freebsd.org "look and feel".

There was one thing I noticed - you don't have a link to hardware and software
vendors on the freebsd.org site from your "Big-Name Users" site..:

        http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/commercial/software_bycat.html
        http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/commercial/hardware.html

These pages have some advocacy swing since they list companies who use FreeBSD
in their products. It's good for people who want a commercial solution based on
FreeBSD, not just to look at a list of folks who use FreeBSD in their systems.

Additionally, I thought having weekly (or something similar) polls would help
gather info about FreeBSD users. Although it is true web-based polls are often
wildly inaccurate, they still do provide a general idea of the FreeBSD
community.

Suggestions for polls would include:

        "About how many users do you support on FreeBSD servers?"
                "1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000+, don't have a FreeBSD server"
        "How many FreeBSD machines do you have?"
                "1, 2, 3-5, 6-10, 11-50, 51-100, more than 100"
        "What would you most like to see implemented in FreeBSD -CURRENT?"
        (note: new features are implemented mostly in -CURRENT, I believe.)
                "x feature, y feature, z feature, other, it's good enough"
        "If you have a server, how many active admins are there?"
        (note: yes, this was grabbed from ports@ ;-)
                "1, 2-4, 5-10, more than 10, don't have a server"
        "Do you think FreeBSD's Ports Collection is better than <insert \
        equivalent linux tool>?" (yes, this is flamebait. ;-)
                "yes, no, don't have a clue what (ports,<linux tool>) is"
        "If you use FreeBSD, how much of the time on computers do you use it?"
                "0-10%, 11-30%, 31-60%, 61-80%, 81-90%, 91-100%"
        "Has your FreeBSD machine ever crashed outright (e.g., kernel panic)?"
                "yes, no, don't remember, don't have FreeBSD"

Just a few I can name. I'm sure other folks will think of (possibly)
interesting and (possibly) useful polls. Of course, maybe this site is not the
appropriate location for polls. Perhaps freebsdrocks.com is more appropriate?

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>