Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:44:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current state of the mozilla project on freebsd... (port)

> *NICE TO HELP*  Mozilla currently has no crypto code, since they can't
>    work on it without getting their wrists slapped (they even had to
>    remove the MD5 code...).  It would be nice if some FreeBSD people
>    could help out.

What was the logic behind forcing out the MD5 code?  I thought that
since it's a one-way hash, the US government was pretty much OK with
it.  A lot of other open source products ship include it.  (Like
FreeBSD itself...)

It sounds like once again, we need to find someone outside the US
who can provide a server and maintain a crypto patch.  The good news
is that it should be possible to use OpenSSL for the actual crypto
operations and key handling; and just need someone to implement the
glue.

> The 'application' is really something called an AppCore, which loads a
> XUL (cross-platform user interface markup language?) file, which is an
> XML language for describing applications.  This file is parsed into an
> Application Object Model (AOM) like the HTML DOM, and uses JavaScript to
> register all of the services it requires.  It's appearance is controlled
> by CSS2 style sheets, which allow it do have 'skins'.  The entire UI is
> then controlled via JavaScript, and can have portions (like a new menu)
> downloaded from the Net, allowing web sites to add menus and toolbars to
> the browser.  There's also a bunch of stuff about "RDF datasources"
> which goes way over my head...

I assume there's some way of -preventing- Web sites from mucking with
the menus and toolbars?  And a way to ensure that if they do, there
will be some positive indication to the user that it has been done?
(I shudder to think what a malicious cracker could do by replacing the
menus and toolbar with another one that looks exactly the same...)

> As a result of all this, the browser and mail/news are about 3MB
> (without the debug code) and already has more functionality than the 4.x
> series (other than security).  The unix version is currently based on
> GTK+, which adds extra size and slows it down...  If I had more time I'd
> really like to write a pure XLib GFX layer, since most of the widgets
> are already written in XP code, but I think mozilla.org is fairly cosy
> with Redhat...

Hmm.  I kind of liked the GTK+ idea on the theory that it would adapt
to the same theme setting as everything else; but it sounds like it
might not adapt that well anyway.  I wonder how hard it would be to
write a JavaScript module to translate a GTK theme description into
the CSS2...

-Pat
P.S.	As you can probably guess from the tone of my questions, I
	have not been following Mozilla.org; due primarily to lack
	of spare cycles.  But I really would like to have a fully
	featured open source browser available for FreeBSD; if only
	so that I could track down the occasional crash...