Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:44:18 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSd.ORG
Subject:   RE: make release

On 3/27/00, 6:20:55 PM, Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>=20
wrote regarding RE: make release:

> So, I just need to set the directory that my CVSUP goes into?

> This doesn't make sense since this doesn't create a cvs repository,=20
just
> the source (ie. cvs export).

> Pardon the confusion on this, but it is a bit.... something.

> j.

Dear Jonathan Smith,

I am going to make release myself in a while :-)

AFAIK, the following hold:

1) you need a CVS repository in order to be able to build a release.=20
Although it should  theoretically be possible to build the same=20
release you run, it is preferable and convenient to have a CVS (ie all=20
FreeBSD sources); as an aside, a serious FreeBSDer *must* (morally=20
speaking) have a CVS :-))

2) you need to tell the system what you want to do, where you want to=20
do it, and where the CVS lives (ie via the variables described in=20
/usr/src/release/Makefile.)

If you have a closer look at the Makefile, you will notice that the=20
variables therein allow you to customize your environment to exactly=20
meet your needs.=20

If you lie and specify your /usr/src as CVSROOT, after a few minutes=20
you will get an error. These last specific woes can be retrieved in=20
the mail archives, too.

Please note: generally speaking, it is UNwise to try to make a more=20
advanced release than the one you are using for the make release=20
process itself. E.g., you should NOT try to make a 4.0-Release from=20
within, say, a 3-STABLE one.

And if I am stating anything incorrect, I will be (more or less)=20
angrily scolded very soon ... :-)

HTH,
Salvo