Date:      Thu, 19 May 2022 12:32:25 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs support in makefs

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 11:04:27PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
> [...]
>
> > === Interface ===
> >
> > Creating a pool with a single dataset is easy:
> >
> > $ makefs -t zfs -s 10g -o poolname=test ./zfs.img /path/to/input
> >
> > Upon importing such a pool, you'll get a dataset named "test" mounted at
> > /test containing everything under /path/to/input.
> >
> > It's possible to set properties on the root dataset:
> >
> > $ makefs -t zfs -s 10g -o poolname=test -o fs=test:setuid=off:atime=on ./zfs.img /path/to/input
> >
> > It's also possible to create additional datasets:
> >
> > $ makefs -t zfs -s 10g -o poolname=test -o fs=test/ds1:mountpoint=/test/dir1 ./zfs.img /path/to/input
> >
> > The parameter syntax is
> > "-o fs=<dataset name>[:<prop1>=<val1>[:<prop2>=<val2>[:...]]]".  Only a
> > few properties are supported, at least for now.
> >
> > Dataset mountpoints behave the same as they would if created with the
> > standard ZFS tools.  So by default the root dataset's mountpoint is
> > /test, test/ds1's mountpoint is /test/ds1, etc..  If a dataset overrides
> > its default mountpoint, its children inherit that mountpoint.
> >
> > makefs builds the output filesystem using a single input directory tree.
> > Thus, makefs -t zfs requires that at least one of the dataset's
> > mountpoints map to /path/to/input; that is, there is a "root" mount
> > point.
> >
> > The -o rootpath parameter defines this root mount point.  By default it's
> > "/<poolname>".  All datasets in the pool must have their mountpoints
> > under this path, and one dataset's mountpoint must be equal to this
> > path.  To build bootable images, one sets -o rootpath=/.
> >
> > Putting it all together, one can build a image using the standard layout
> > with an invocation like this:
> >
> > makefs -t zfs -o poolname=zroot -s 20g -o rootpath=/ -o bootfs=zroot/ROOT/default \
> >     -o fs=zroot:canmount=off:mountpoint=none \
> >     -o fs=zroot/ROOT:mountpoint=none \
> >     -o fs=zroot/ROOT/default:mountpoint=/ \
> >     -o fs=zroot/tmp:mountpoint=/tmp:exec=on:setuid=off \
> >     -o fs=zroot/usr:mountpoint=/usr:canmount=off \
> >     -o fs=zroot/usr/home \
> >     -o fs=zroot/usr/ports:setuid=off \
> >     -o fs=zroot/usr/src \
> >     -o fs=zroot/usr/obj \
> >     -o fs=zroot/var:mountpoint=/var:canmount=off \
> >     -o fs=zroot/var/audit:setuid=off:exec=off \
> >     -o fs=zroot/var/crash:setuid=off:exec=off \
> >     -o fs=zroot/var/log:setuid=off:exec=off \
> >     -o fs=zroot/var/mail:atime=on \
> >     -o fs=zroot/var/tmp:setuid=off \
> >     ${HOME}/tmp/zfs.img ${HOME}/tmp/world
> >
> > I'll admit this is somewhat clunky, but it doesn't seem worse than what
> > we have to do otherwise, see poudriere-image for example:
> > https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/blob/master/src/share/poudriere/image_zfs.sh#L79
> >
> > What do folks think of this interface?  Is there anything missing, or
> > anything that doesn't make sense?
>
> I find it slightly confusing that -o options have a default namespace of
> pool options unless they have an fs=*: prefix, but making users type
> "pool:" for other options doesn't seem to make sense so this is probably

Yeah, this was exactly my reasoning for the current syntax.  It might be
worth revisiting if we end up adding many more options, but I would like
to try and keep makefs as simple as possible.

> The density of data in the filesystem specification does suggest that
> someone might want to create a UCL config file format eventually, but
> what's here already seems entirely workable.

I thought about this too.  We have several definitions of the standard
FreeBSD ZFS dataset layout scattered around, in bsdinstall, poudriere,
and probably elsewhere.  release(7) would get yet another instance; see
D23334 and D34426.

So, it'd be nice to have a single definition (and perhaps some
alternative layouts) defined somewhere central, ideally in a format that
can also be consumed by OpenZFS tools.  OpenZFS might already have
something like this, I don't know.