Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:33:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "tjk@tksoft.com" <tjk@tksoft.com>
To:        slamdunk@neophile.net (slamdunk)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird login attempt

Jerry,

Since the user is www, is it possible that the login
was attempted through the web server? I.e. do you have
your web server running under the username www?

One theoretical possibility would be that someone
was able to execute a cgi which tried to login
to the system.

The ttyv0 indicates a local login, not a networked
(pseudo tty) login. If the cgi exec'ed code which
attached to ttyv0, then this would seem consistent.

Might be a good idea to see your web access logs for
that particular moment in time and see if some cgi
was called just then.

Troy