Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 18:37:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Knobs in /etc/sysconfig

I don't know if Rod is still working on this stuff, but given the
amount of time that's elapsed I'd say that the statute of limitations
any developer gets for "locking" things in -current has run out, so
it's open season again in /usr/src/etc/etc.i386! :-)

Persuant to that, I'd like to add knobs in /etc/sysconfig and
/etc/<somefile> for turning on such extra services as SNMP, a web
server, PCNFS, Samba, etc.  This may seem superfluous to some, but
believe me - I won't be able to make FreeBSD truly plug-n-pray for
many important tasks without such instrumentation and I think that
it's pretty important to achieve that at some point.

For example (from my own setup):

/etc/sysconfig:

# set to NO if you don't want CMU SNMP services
snmp_flags="public ro"

/etc/netstart:

if [ "x$snmp_flags" != "xNO" -a -x /usr/local/libexec/snmpd ]; then
        echo 'snmp daemon: ' /usr/local/libexec/snmpd $snmp_flags &
fi

And so forth.  Rather than seeing this bloom out of control, I tend to
suspect more that this will plateau out at around 10-15 additional
services max and give us easy instrumentation of a whole range of
important services.  Activation than then be reduced to a simple
pkg_add, a tweak in /etc/sysconfig and the possible setup of a
configuration file (which would also be handled through the auspices
of whatever program did the /etc/sysconfig tweaking, probably).

Comments?

					Jordan