Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 2020 00:29:12 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        pkg@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Subject:   ports-mgmt/pkg: Checking integrity...Assertion failed: (strcmp(uid,

Hi pkg@FreeBSD.org

With a 2 month old current, mostly upgraded to new current
uname -a
FreeBSD lapr.js.berklix.net 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Aug 31 13:22:54 CEST 2020     jhs@lapr.js.berklix.net:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/GENERIC  amd64
cat .svn_revision 364986
cat .ctm_status src-cur 14656

& with a few src/ bits being nursed through make, fixed & rebuilt,
in parallel (being impatient, & not being stable enough to yet run
mergemaster to upgrade /etc ) I ran pkg upgrade
& got a too opaque error message:
	Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
	FreeBSD repository is up to date.
	All repositories are up to date.
	Updating database digests format: 100%
	Checking for upgrades (499 candidates): 100%
	Processing candidates (499 candidates): 100%
	Checking integrity...Assertion failed: (strcmp(uid, p->uid) != 0), function pkg_conflicts_check_local_path, file pkg_jobs_conflicts.c, line 386.
	Child process pid=83027 terminated abnormally: Abort trap

*** From /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg/work/pkg-1.14.7/libpkg/pkg_jobs_conflicts.c
                 * We have found the conflict with some other chain, so find that chain
                 * or update the universe
	assert(strcmp(uid, p->uid) != 0);

Mystifying for anyone but a programmer with time to search.
Would be nice if you could please make it more human friendly ?
to emit a message such as
	/var/db/pkg/WHATEVER seems damaged, try fixing it with COMMAND
	( Like rc mount fails suggests fsck ?
	man pkg doesnt have a suggestion to fix/ check/ preen the db,,
	maybe theres some magic sqlite incantation one could quote from
	/etc/rc or ? to man pkg )

I tried various things as below, no luck for a a while, but then
something there, or some fix I was doing in parallel to src/ make, fixed my pkg
repository.
I cant repeat the error sequence, but I did copy the entire /var while
broken for autopsy if you are interested )

Things I was trying for a while in parallel to fixing src/ make,
till something fixed my pkg
------------
	alternate use of pkg-static to reinstall pkg
	pkg delete pkg, pkg install pkg,
	cd usr/ports/package/pkg ; make unistall, make install,
	& foreach (my list of 500) pkg install $i
	pkg autoremove
		pkg: No packages installed.  Nothing to do!
	pkg upgrade
	Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
	Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
	Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB 785.6kB/s    00:08
	Processing entries: 100%
	FreeBSD repository update completed. 30733 packages processed.
	All repositories are up to date.
	Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
	Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
	Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
	Your packages are up to date.
So eventually something seemed to have flushed & zeroed my list of 500
at least it's working again, so am reinstalling all 500.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Consultant Sys. Engineer, BSD Linux http://berklix.com/jhs/