Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 1995 16:24:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > and You-Know-How in the alternative UNIX-like OS segment.
                 ^^^ ("Who", of course)

> I run Win95 on a 4M machine.  It isn't the fastest thing in the world,
> but it runs just fine.

    Great... FreeBSD will be known as the OS-that's-more-bloated-than-
the-King-of-Bloat-MS-Windows.  Not to slam on the kernel developers,
but there must be *some* way of being able to *install* the OS on a
4-meg machine???

> Best bet would be blow the CDROM drivers from generic for the net
> distribution, and NFS and other net parts as necessary from the CDROM.

    If 2.1 fits in 5 megs, doing away with this stuff might push it
back under 4 megs.  I'd rather have potential users make a choice of
which boot floppy to take (like Linux) than losing them completely
because they can't even install it to begin with...
--
Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
System Administrator, Internex Online Inc.