Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:26:40 +0200
From:      Chris Zumbrunn <chris@czv.com>
To:        Emily Boyd <soc-emily@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD design proposal

On Jul 22, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Emily Boyd wrote:

> http://www.emilyboyd.com/design/freebsd/homepage_proposal.png
> http://www.emilyboyd.com/design/freebsd/secondpage_proposal.png
>
> I've learnt a lot from reviewing the earlier redesigns proposed by
> folks
> like Devon O'Dell, Chris Zumbrunn, and others. The input on this list
> from people such as Ceri Davies and Simon Nielsen has also been
> invaluable.

Yes, these proposals are fine in my opinion as well. The implementation
of
the secondary pages might be tricky. If I remember correctly, many pages
currently only have a header that you can include, but no footer. You
may need
to compromise the layout in this regard initially and then transition to
the ideal version later, after the markup of all the pages has been
updated.

> If my design proposal is accepted, I would be able to code up the
> design
> as SGML/XSLT templates so that the existing website can be rapidly
> converted to the new style and launched in time for 6.0-RELEASE.

You should be able to use the code in Devon's perforce workspace for
this.

http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/
dodell/new%5fwww/en

I think you can pretty much get from there to your proposal with CSS
adjustments.

Chris

chris@czv.com  +41 329 41 41 41
Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/
Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum