Date:      Sat, 23 May 2009 20:35:07 -0700
From:      Norbert Papke <npapke@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Radeon performance and AIGLX problem

On May 23, 2009, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure a desktop with Radeon 3650, RV635 chip.
>
> Using both the radeon and the radeonhd driver I see slow drawing,
> occasional display corruption when moving windows, an unsettling
> "reset" of the whole screen when a video is played.

I am using a card with a 3650 part.  For me, the xf86-video-radeonhd-devel
driver works well for 2D acceleration.  My device section:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "radeonhd"
        VendorName      "ATI"
        BoardName       "ASUS 3650 HD"
        Option          "AccelMethod"   "exa"
        Option          "DRI"           "on"
        Option          "ForceLowPowerMode" "on"
EndSection

> Enabling AIGLX with "radeonhd" makes X.Org freeze with a blank screen
> (ctrl-backspace doesn't work but system responds to network and
> crtl-alt-del) on start, and the following message in X.Org with the
> "radeon" driver:

There is no 3D acceleration available for this card yet.  I suggest you turn
off AIGLX.  To make ctrl-alt-backspace work, you need

        Option          "DontZap" "false"

in your ServerFlags section.

Cheers,

-- Norbert Papke.