Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 19:40:02 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many files can I put in one diretory?

"Nicole Harrington." wrote:

> On 22-Jun-00 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> >>
> >>  Hello
> >>  I have a user who needs to store a large amount of small html files. Like
> >> around 2 million...
> >
> > that sounds insane! Because a name is a name, why dont they call
> > those files xx/yy/zz/tt.html and the like, to get down to a more
> > reasonable # of files per directory.
> >

>  Well.. Yea that's the idea.. But what is a reasonable number? 10K 100K etc.

	I heard 10k a while back from several sources I considered reliable.
I've always stuck to that limit and never had a problem on freebsd or
sun. I've also had very good luck with a hashed directory structure,
such as:

/a/b/c/abcfile

The level of hashing, and the number of characters per level can be
determined by your expected number of files, naming schemes, etc.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire