Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 11:11:27 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        jin@george.lbl.gov
Cc:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk naming problem

--==_Exmh_1773480329P

If memory serves me right, jin@george.lbl.gov wrote:
> > See LINT on details of how to wire down scsi devices...
> >
> > Your proposal doesn't take adding a second scsi card into account.
>
> Well, I did not mean that has to be da0, da1, etc., but similar thing
> like dac0t0d0, dac0t1d0, ... dac3t4d0, etc. which is much clear what
> disk is.
> A few people does not like this one because the name is long, and it
> is like some commerical configuration. They said that this is Free
> software.

That's an interesting argument on the part of a few people.  The
commercial UNIX I first adminned had wired down, short names for disks
(rz0, rz1, rz2, ... ).  This was very nice.

> Manually wiring down disks is OK for a small set of hosts. 100+ hosts
> with two or three controllers with 100 TB disks will be terribly pain
> during the setup and maintenance.

It depends on what you mean by "manually".  Presumably, these 100+
hosts have fairly similar kernel configurations, so you only need to
build a small number of "wired down" kernels, and then distribute these
out to the hosts.

I've found that that having wired down SCSI devices is a Good Thing
(TM), and it's one of the first things that I fix when I start building
kernels for a new version of FreeBSD.  I guess I've just gotten used to
it.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1773480329P

--==_Exmh_1773480329P--