Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 1995 12:28:30 -0400
From:      "Philip T. Hoeffer" <pth3k@avery.med.virginia.edu>
To:        jkh@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject:   APC UPS INFORMATION you Requested

              APC Smart UPS Commands / Protocol
              ---------------------------------

	Interface:
	----------

	The SPC Ups's use a simple three wire interface with a shield.
    When in Smart Mode!!!

	CPU						UPS
	---						---

 TxD 2 --------------------- 2	RxD
 RxD 3 --------------------- 1	TxD
 GND 5 --------------------- 9	GND
  Shield ----------------- Shield

	Communication Parameters
	------------------------

 2400 Baud, 8 Data Bits, 1 Stop Bit, No Parity ( Standard Stuff Here )

	Init Ups ( Smart Mode )
	-----------------------

	To Start the UPS Responding to Smart UPS Commands send the
	character "Y", 0x59, ( A capital y ).

	The UPS will respond with the character string "SM" which means
	I assume Smart Mode.							--

	From this point on the UPS will respond to the commands below.

	General Commands
	----------------

Command Description              Command Description
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
  A  =	Test Front Panel        |  L  =  Input Line Voltage      "xxx.x"
  B  =  Battery Voltage "xx.x"  |  M  =  Max. Line Voltage Rcvd. "xxx.x"
  C  =  Battery Voltage "xx.x" ?|  N  =  Min. Line Voltage Rcvd. "xxx.x"
  D  =  N / A                   |  O  =  Output Voltage          "xxx.x"
  E  =  ?? Generates   "OK"     |  P  =  Power Load on UPS in %  "xx.x"
  F  =  Line Frequency Hz "xx.x"|  Q  =  ?? generates "08" on mine
  G  =  generates "R","T" or "S"|  R  =  N / A
  H  =  N / A                   |  S  =  N / A
  I  =  N / A                   |  T  =  generates "000.1"  TIME??
  J  =  N / A                   |  U  =  Self Test gen. "OK<CR>!!S"
  K  =  Shutdown UPS            |  V  =  Version Req. "6KD" on mine
     Send a "K", wait 1 sec,    |  W  =  Self Test
     Send another "K", wait     |  X  =  Generates "OK"
     another sec. then send a   |  Y  =  Init UPS as Smart Mode
     <CR>. <CR> = 0x0d          |  Z  =  N / A
     After 15-30 Secs UPS will  |
     Shutdown.                  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------

	Return Codes
	------------

	The Following is a list of characters generated by the UPS & what
	I did to get them:

    "SM"    Received after sending a "Y", SMART MODE ???
    "6KD"   UPS Version Number.
    "!"	    Unplug ac line cord from UPS. Also rcvd when cord plugged
            back in. call it LINE TRANSITION OCCURED.
    "?"     Send from UPS after powered up by 1 switch on front panel.
    "*"     Sent by UPS after second "K" sent by me. WARNING ABOUT TO
            SHUTDOWN??
    "R" -\
    "S"   > Sent by UPS after I sent it the "G" command. ???
    "T" -/

	This is what I have so far.  I am still going to work on this but
	if any of you findout anything further please let me know or post
	it on the net.

	I hope this helps someone out there. Remember you saw it from
	a FreeBSD'er First!!!

                       	Best of luck
                             Ty

Ty Hoeffer pth3k@galen.med.virginia.edu    | University of Virginia
Telecommunications Support Network Analyst |        Hospital
Lan Support Group / Unix Systems           | Medical Center Computing
    FreeBSD the Operating System of choice for PC UNIX!!!
	Opinions Expressed by Me are not shared by anyone!!!!  *<;)