Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:32:28 GMT
From:      iain@nwpeople.demon.co.uk (Iain Baird)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Subject:   Re: anyone there using AMD's 133MHz chips?

Stefan Esser writes:
> On Jan 10, 18:31, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:
> } Subject: anyone there using AMD's 133MHz chips?
> } are there any problems/opinions on them?  It is worth to choose them
> } over 120MHz ones?  (i.e., time make world on both)
>
> According to some reports I read, the 5x86 is not
> significantly faster than the 486DX4/120, but it
> has the advantage to work well on PCI only mother
> boards, which prefer a 33MHz bus clock (and don't
> like a 40MHz clock at all :-)

I'm running a DX4-120 on a GA-486AMS PCI-only motherboard.
This can clock PCI at CPU/2.  By default, with CPU at 40MHz,
PCI runs at 20MHz.

However: I have tried setting CPU:PCI to 1:1, so PCI is clocked
at 40MHz, and everything seems to work fine.  So far at least.
I have an AHA-2940 and a Diamond Stealth 64 (S3 968).  I haven't
done any benchmarking to compare the performance.

Any comments on the wisdom of this?

--
Iain Baird                                     Network People International
                                               Tel: +44 (0)1732 743591