Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 16:00:23 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

> > Terry, notice *what* the subject is.  It's not about changing how things
> > are done, but *when* things are done. :)
>
> That would be "Re: More nits".

That's the subject of the email, but not the subject of your diatribe.

> And the partition editor is fdisk.

Right, and *after* you leave the fdisk editor, should Jordan ask to
install the MBR then?  Sounds like a 'different' tool than fdisk to me.

> > That's where your *wrong*.   There is no other place to put it.  It is
> > something that is *directly* related to the partition, because the MBR
> > tells the *PC-HW* what partition to boot from.
>
> This is writing the partition table, not the MBR code.

See above.  "I will have it ask when you leave the editor".  This
implies to me (especially after having used the intall tools for *many*
intalls) that 'when I leave the editor' sysinstall will ask me questions
on my MBR.  I take this to mean that 'right after' I leave the editor
(because you *MUST* write the partition table *BEFORE* the new MBR will
be valid) I will have the option of installing a 'new' MBR to select my
'new' partition. :)

> > [ Irrelevant ranting about fdisk and devfs deleted ]
> >
> > Since *NONE* of this stuff is relevant until *after* FreeBSD is booted,
> > how is at all related to the partition menu?  The MBR stuff is necessary
> > for the PC hardware, and once FreeBSD is running it's no longer an
> > issue.
>
> So now FreeBSD is not running when the install takes place?  BZZZZZZZT.

Yes, but what does this have to do with devfs?  We *don't* have devfs,
and writing a MBR entry doesn't need it.  For God sake's, it can only
exist in *one* place on the disk, and can't exist *ANY* other place on
the disk.  Why do I need a devfs to find it, since it *never* moves.

> > Huh?  Moving where he installs the MBR to a different spot on the menu
> > is hardly adding a *wart* to the slice API.
>
> Making it a default prompt after editing the partitions in fdisk would be.

Why?  It's the most logical place to put it, hence the reason it was
brought up in the first place.

Dare I ask, where would you put in in the menu, knowing that it is a
*mandatory* question.

Nate