Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2017 10:01:16 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADUP] FLAVORS landing.

> On 28 Sep, 2017, at 0:55, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> Am 27.09.17 um 22:57 schrieb Don Lewis:
>> If at some point you run into a bug and need the debug files, you can
>> pkg install the debug files for whatever packages that you need =
without
>> disturbing your already installed runtime files, and then you can =
later
>> deinstall the debug files when you are done with them without needing =
>> reinstall the runtime files.  The same thing applies to docs.
>=20
> This assumes, that a matching version of the debug files is still
> available. Otherwise, you had to first install the latest version
> of the package and to reproduce the situation with that version.
>=20
> This may be seen as a feature (bug reports only for the version
> currently in ports), but may be impractical in many cases.
>=20
> The matching of versions of base package and sub-packages must be
> more strict than by version number, since trivial changes might be
> applied to a port without incrementing the PORTREVISION, but with
> impact on the binary, e.g. if the port is to built with some gcc
> version from ports and that gcc port has been updated, leading to
> different object files and debug symbols than a previous version
> of the port with identical version number.
>=20
> A "build number" could be added to each (sub-)package and only if
> this build number matches, a sub-package may be installed on top
> of an already installed base package. The build time/date could of
> course be used instead, if an identical value is used for all the
> corresponding files.

Build date/time or some other per-build identifier violates =
reproducibility.

We already require that PORTREVISION be bumped every time the resulting =
package is changed. We already enforce it universally. Trivial changes, =
by our definition, do not alter the resulting package in any meaningful =
way (changing http to https in the pkg-descr file, improving LICENSE =
information, etc.).

GCC bump is not in any way a trivial change. When GCC is updated, ALL =
gcc-dependent ports are bumped.

# Adam

--=20
Adam Weinberger