Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 01:33:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, nate@sri.MT.net, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop hardware FOUND

Nate Williams stands accused of saying:

> > No.  I've had 'apm' work a couple of times; I think one of them was running
> > the GENERIC kernel with the dormant 'apm' driver enabled, but I'm
> > not totally sure there.  As I said, it's not too critical just yet.
>
> Are you using the version of apm.c from the SNAP, or from the Nomad's?
> I'm a bit biased, but I think my version might work better.

It may well 8)  I _think_ the original one I was using was from the -SNAP,
but I upgraded to the latest Nomad stuff to see if it would help.  Having
done that much, I'd like to help fold their changes back into -current,
but my time's about as free as yours 8(

I'll try the -SNAP 'apm' again now that I'm happier about what does what.

> > See my other post on this for more juice.  The BIOS in the Sharp actually
> > seems to be quite civilised; I can hotkey-suspend, hotkey into the APM
> > setup screen, and even hotkey the speaker volume up and down without
> > it appearing to faze the system at all.
>
> All of this *while* FreeBSD is running?

Yup.  It even appears to restore the video mode OK; I was running at 80x60
(need to teach syscons about 800x600 displays 8) with the compile on the
screen, hotkeyed into the APM setup to make sure the disk wasn't sleeping
between writes or something stupid, and then dropped back out & it restored
the screen mode and all.

It appears to achieve it by generating a 'suspend' event, when it comes
back out the 'suspended for xx:xx:xx' message is logged...

> no promises as to when my life gets back to normal.  Hopefully before
> the rivers and streams slow down enough to go fishing. :)

Arg, no fair!  None of this pleading "Real Life" stuff 8)

> > And speaking of hackery, is it normal for the pcic to share an interrupt
> > with another port?  I was half hoping to use the IR port, but it's on the
> > same interrupt as the pcic, so it never probes...
>
> You need to remove the interrupt that the IR port uses from
> /etc/pccard.conf.  It steals one of the interrupts from the list, so if
> it's not a free interrupt remove it.

Sorry, should have been clearer; 'pcic' as in the PC-Card chipset in the
machine (what is probed at boot time).  There are only two free interrupts
and a very small collection of free ports in this blasted system, but
I only have one card so that's not a problem.