Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:02:40 -0500
From:      Arvind Sankar <arvinds@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing freebsd from dos partition

hi.

I'm trying to install the 3.2 release on a i386 system that has one ide
and one scsi disk. The release files are under freebsd/ in /dev/da0s1,
which is a dos partition. /dev/da0s3 is the bsd slice. /dev/da0s2 is a
linux root partition, and /dev/da0s4 is an extended partition containing
the rest of the linux part.

when I attempt to set the install media to DOS, I get the error message:
Cannot mount /dev/da0s4 on /dist. How do I persuade the installer to
look at /dev/da0s1 instead? The problem is incomprehensible to me,
because /dev/da0s4 is not even a dos partition (shows up as unknown in
the pc partition editor).

Can someone help?

--
Arvind Sankar                       phone : (617)-776-5083
156 School St, #6                   e-mail: arvinds@mit.edu