Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:03:44 +0100
From:      Paul Thornton <prt@prt.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net.inet.ip.forwarding is mysteriously set to 0

Hi

On 27/04/2015 06:41, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Basically all the setup scripts in /etc/rc.d (andaother setup scripts in
> /etc and /usr/local/etc)
> all source /etc/rc.conf and it's friends (defaults etc.)
> if any of thse scripts gets called (for example by devd when it notices
> a new interface),
> then the entire chain of dependencies related to that chain will be run
> **according to how the config files tell it to run* *
> and not how the current sysctls are set.
> if you think about it, this must be the case as htey need to change the
> sysctls as part of
> their operation.
>
> maybe we should have a script to do what you want and also uses sysrc(8)
> to make it permanent.

I don't think this is a major problem to be honest.

The issue I had back in January is that the behaviour changed with an
upgrade to 10.1 from 8.something as the interaction with devd wasn't
well known.

I don't know how this can be dealt with unless we have a load of
special-cases that log warnings when, for example, forwarding is enabled
in sysctl.conf but there isn't a gateway_enable in rc.conf.  That sounds
like a messy solution to be honest.

Paul.