Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:07:44 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Maulberger <Paul.Maulberger@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, mm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 and how to map the libraries form gcc47?

--kPvmKZRaHW6UEX9w

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 10:34:29AM +0100, Paul Maulberger wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> I'm using FreeBSD 9.1 Release with custom kernels. Kernel and userland ar=
e compiled with the base compiler (gcc 4.2.1).
>=20
> My whole project needs a few fast servers. If I compile my own source and=
 libgmp with gcc47 (and optimization for XEON Sandy-Bridge) my executables =
are significant faster. Compared to gcc42 I would save money as I need fewe=
r servers.
>=20
> My first goal is a very stable system, after that a fast one.
>=20
> Using the same library in different versions (e.g. /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1=
 and /usr/local/lib/gcc47/libgcc_s.so.1) makes me a little bit nervous.
>=20
> The following links are a good starting point.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/custom-gcc/article.html
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D28054
>=20
> Following '3.2 Adjusting libmap.conf' from the first link I should map al=
l gcc libraries to the new ones. So that every executable (also userland) w=
ill use the libraries from gcc47. Is that safe?
>=20
The libgcc in base was supposed to be ABI-compatible with the stock
libgcc from the corresponding version of the compiler.

Assuming gcc project keep the ABI stability of the supplied libraries,
it should be fine.

--kPvmKZRaHW6UEX9w

--kPvmKZRaHW6UEX9w--