Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:23:22 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Deepak Jain <deepak@ai.net>
Subject:   Re: any Apache//web wizards out there?

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 10:20:44PM -0500, Deepak Jain wrote:

> If the tag is showing up in your html files, and not returning an error like
> "Error in directive" then your file isn't being run through the mod_includes
> handler.
>
> 1) Make sure mod_includes is in your httpd.conf file.

LoadModule includes_module    libexec/apache/mod_include.so

> 2) Make sure you have uncommented the .shtml handler.

    #
    # To use server-parsed HTML files
    #
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

> 3) Make sure your file is named .shtml or .html with the execute bit set
> [Xbithack]

-rwxr-xr-x  1 kline  wheel  1928 Mar 31 20:34 index.html

	Note that when I tried index.shtml, apache gave me a
	permission error about not having access to "/".  This
	may be another part of the problem.  (??)

> 4) Make sure you have Includes permissions turned on for the directory you
> are in:
>
> <Directory />
> Options +Includes
> </Directory

	Do I need the + prepended to "Includes"?  ...Another thing
	is whether I need to specify the "/usr/local/www/wwdata"
	directory here.  Above, n the default <Directory> section
	I have enabled Imcludes; also in the /cgi-bin/ <Directory>
	section.

> Restart httpd and you should be fine.

	Not so far.   Any other clues?

	gary