Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:52:13 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Peter Brevik <pb@ludd.luth.se>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ refund..

At 01:54 PM 1/21/99 +0100, Peter Brevik wrote:

>             About getting refund on M$ os bundling.
>
>As I understood when you buy from US, M$ os get supplied, and you have to pay
>for it.. however, I have always bought my computer in parts in Sweden.
>And no one ever forced me to buy M$ os with it. Is this not an option in US ?
>
>                /Peter

This is true for cases when you buy your machines in parts.  My machine was
built from high-grade Supermicro equipment, and it did not come with Windows.

There are many companies here (I.e. Dell, Gateway 2000, etc) that have a
binding contract with Microsoft.  You have to have A copy of Windows come
with the machine.  Gateway 2000 offers an upgrade to NT 4 Workstation for
something around 99 dollars during initial order of your machine.

Microsoft locks in companies with cheaper rates on Windows bulk packs and
licenses in many cases.  Gateway 2000 is not able to ship their machines
with Linux or with no operating system because of this bind with Microsoft.
 This in itself could vastly affect the possiblity of Alternative OSes
(FreeBSD, et al) being available with a NEW PC.  Microsoft sees the threat
that Free UNIXes have proposed thusfar and is not likely to make it easy to
move forward more.

I think it's intriguing that something free is getting more media play
lately than Microsoft paying for ad spots and getting into legal trouble.  :-)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D