Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:42:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Mohan Srinivasan <mohan@netapp.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on 5x86 and K5 systems/XF86 and the Matrox Mystique card...

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Mohan Srinivasan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to put together a (El Cheapo) second PC for home use running
> FreeBSD. I'm looking for some input from users who've tried running FreeBSD
> on a 5x85/K5 based machine, and running XF86 on the Matrox Mystique card.

The AMD K5 probes as a Pentium and runs FreeBSD w/o any problems.  The
probe does not show the P-rating (just the MHz clock).  So the K5-PR133
shows 100MHz, but I'm not sure how it is if you jumper the cpu as 66x2.
Either way, it will run at full PR speed.  (The newer K5s can be jumpered
at the P-rating or actual internal clock speed).

The AMD 5x86 should also work, but why get another 486 motherboard when
new Pentium motherboards are so cheap?